Sunday, August 12, 2007

First Day Of School



Friday was the first day of school. I was super nervous all morning. I have 18 kids in my class. They are all adorable and VERY high energy. I hope I can keep up with them! I had a lot of fun on Friday although I didn't actually teach anything because it was the first day and it was a half day. We mostly went over the rules and practiced procedures such as walking in straight line quietly and entering the classroom in a non-chaotic fashion. I gave them a few assignments to see where they were at in some subjects. They are not up to 3rd grade standards in Reading for sure, but I'll do my best to work with them. On Sabbath we hiked up to Sokehs Rock. It was the most gorgeous hike I've ever been on. It's a steep hike up through the jungle for the first half, and the second half is pretty much like rock climbing with only a metal bar to hang on to for support. It was super fun. The view from the top is indescribable. After the hike we played b-ball against the youth again, us SMs won 4 games in a row! Today we spent the morning getting ready for school and the afternoon snorkeling at the reef. I got to use my new scuba fins for the first time. While we were there chilling in the boat it started POURING rain, it actually kind of hurt it was so hard, so I jumped into the ocean since it is much warmer and less painful than the rain. Tomorrow we start the first full day of school, and the first full week as well! My roommate made banana bread with chocolate chips in it yesterday with my overly ripe bananas and I cannot stop eating it. We also made haystacks on Sabbath afternoon, and I made homemade flour tortillas, yum!! We have been doing many cooking/baking experiments this past week, most have turned out well luckily. We even fried some parrotfish the other day, it was delicious!

No comments: