Saturday, February 9, 2008

thus far in 2008



It's midterm time yet again. 3rd quarter is half over next week. The weeks have passed rather uneventfully this quarter, which is certainly not a bad thing. Let's see- Last weekend we hiked down to Sahwertik & Sahwerlap again. It's a fun hike especially with good company. A few weekends ago we hiked up Chicken Poop mountain. There was a crazy drunk guy yelling at us when we came down. The B's called the police and they came and took care of it. About 3 weeks ago I decided to brave the waves and go bodyboarding with the crazy surfer SMs. These waves are on steroids, I kid you not. They are HUGE. So it turns out I'm not terribly good at duck diving waves with a body board (where you dive through them as they are about to crash on top of you). I ended up being spun 3 times in a row in monster waves. I now know what my clothes feel like in the spin cycle. It's not a pleasant feeling, well, that and you can't breathe while being tossed about. It was an experience, that's for sure. I'm alive to tell the story and I amazingly didn't get cut on any coral either. I was lucky. Now I can check bodyboarding off my list of things to do....and not repeat.
We finally poisoned one of our resident rats. It chose to die right in front of our microwave on our counter. It was a gruesome death too. Gross. One down, who knows how many to go!
Only 5 weeks until Mom comes out to visit. I'm super lucky to have so many people come visit me. I can't wait to see you mom! Thanks to all of you that have sent me packages/cards in the mail, I appreciate it!

Things I've learned in Pohnpei:
1. Karaoke makes me happy
2. It is possible for time to go both fast and slow simultaneously

1 comment:

Erin said...

I know exactly what you mean by time going by fast and slow at the same time. I miss you and look forward to seeing you upon your return.