Sunday, October 21, 2007

I'd like to be, under the sea...



This weekend was a 3 day weekend because Friday was parent teacher conferences instead of school. I didn't have any angry parents or anything, so that was good. After conferences, we loaded up the boat and headed to Black Coral, an island not far from the main island. This one didn't have much sand and it was TINY, but very relaxing to get away from school and everything for a short while. We sat around all day Sabbath and snorkeled a bit in the channel near the island. This morning we went diving right by the island. I got to use my own BC this time which was nice, and I actually had weights too! I saw about 4 reef sharks (one of which was a baby, very cute) and a sea turtle for a fleeting second. It was down pretty deep and was moving fast so I didn't get a good look at it. Our dive was pretty long and fun, also uneventful, which is generally a good thing when talking about scuba diving. I'm not looking forward to school tomorrow because I'm really tired, but hopefully I'll get a good night's sleep and make up for this weekend. I slept on the hard wood floor of our hut the first night we were there because it was so hot that I was burning up in my hammock without any breeze. The 2nd night was much better as it was raining and windy. I hung my hammock from the low rafters of the hut and slept really good, but I'm still pretty tired from everything. Well, back to school tomorrow, we have Wednesday off because of U.N. day, which will be a nice break in the middle of the week. Our leaky shower got fixed this weekend as well, so now we don't have a permanent puddle on our bathroom floor anymore. So much to be thankful for if you really think about it. Sometimes it's hard to look on the positive side though. One quarter down, three to go!

Things I've learned in Pohnpei:
1. Teachers deserve the utmost respect, they work hard
2. Balance is key to happiness
3. Cabbage salad is salad nonetheless

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

...in an octopus' garden, in the shade.

Brittany said...

Hey Katie! So sorry I've been bad and haven't been keeping up with you for a while. But I'm very glad to see that you are looking on the positive side and finding things to be thankful for. That is so key! Way to go! And I also appreciated you little lessons learned at the bottom. Possible virtues of life for the future? I think so! btw, I've finished your book and I'm gonna send it off tomorrow! I hope it doesn't take too long to get there, otherwise you'll learn everything by yourself, and we can't have THAT now, can we? Anyway, sounds like you are surviving and having fun. Love ya! ~BW