Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Manta Madness!




Dragging myself out of bed Sunday morning to get ready for diving
was not the easiest thing in the world. I almost decided to skip it a sleep in instead, figuring that the dive wouldn’t be that great and trying to convince myself that I should save my money for diving over Easter Break. I eventually got up though, luckily. We ended up going diving at a place called Manta Road. It is a small channel in between 2 sections of the reef. Aptly named, it was swarming with manta rays. I probably saw 10 or 12 during my dive. It was by far my favorite dive. The bottom was only about 55 feet so we stayed down for a long time. I only had 2 small rocks in my BC for weight so I had quite a time getting down. After Tim handed me a few of his weights I got down alright though. For once I wasn’t using the leaky regulator, so I actually had air to spare after my buddy ran out. I snorkeled around for a while longer using my air because I wanted to watch the mantas some more. All of a sudden I was in the midst of a huge school of fish. Seriously, all I could see were fish, well, and then down about 10 feet under us were 4 small reef sharks hunting the fish. Suddenly, 2 mantas were there to join the party as well. CJ and I were watching this whole spectacle in awe when lo and behold 3 more mantas decided to play chicken with us. They swam straight at us until they were about 2 feet away and then dove down right under us. I probably would have kicked one if my legs had been extended. They are beautiful creatures, wow!! I envy their graceful gliding through the water. And to think I almost didn’t go on the dive! It was a good time. As is tradition, we got caught in the rain for a while but then it cleared and I secured those funky tan lines at mid shoulder and knee that I know you are all envying (I also have a killer flip flop tan, really, it's quite impressive). We were back to the school by 1 which was good because that meant I could still get a decent amount done for school. This is the last week before Easter Break. Mom is flying in 5 days from now and I am very excited. I’ll admit it doesn’t seem real yet, but I can’t wait to see her.

Last week’s adventure was noteworthy as well, but I never got around to blogging about it. It consisted of an impromptu boat drive out to Ant atoll to snorkel for about 30 min (the boat drive is about an hour, maybe longer). On the way we got caught in a storm, it was pretty cool, huge waves, pouring rain. It was a little cold, but a lot of fun too. We bounced around on the front of the boat in the waves, luckily we were sitting on lifejackets to cushion our landings. I would liken the feeling to that of a rollercoaster. After snorkeling we went trolling for a while and Mr. B caught a fish or two. It was fun to get out on the boat and just chill for a while. Last week I was also blessed with 3 packages in the mail. I know, I really am spoiled. I enjoyed it though. Hopefully this week goes smoothly and we can actually get some legitimate work done in the classroom some of the time. Around vacation time it always gets a little crazy. I don’t mind it some of the time though, I enjoy when my students are excited, especially when they have been working so hard all quarter.

Things I’ve learned in Pohnpei:

  1. Manta Rays are stupendous
  2. Contrary to popular belief, roosters do not crow only at dawn. They crow all day, all night, and especially all morning, wherever and whenever they please. This includes but is not limited to directly outside my window.
  3. “Midday Sweat” is my new fragrance. Not to be confused with fragrance of choice, of course.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm so jealous of your dive! I only saw one manta ray. It was incredible! I know what you mean about rough boat rides to Ant in a storm. This happened to me, only I didn't have the soft life jacket to sit on. After one hour ride I had a bruised tail bone for probably 4 months after. It was bruised into Big Lake. Do you remember me taking pillows to campfire so I didn't have to sit on the hard bench? Ha ha...good times.